Consumer Culture: Selected Essays
We live in a society that defines us by what we consume and how. Every day we make purchasing decisions that express our sense of belonging, our commitments to the environment, and our systems of belief. We often choose to buy things, not necessarily because we need them, but because we believe that these things will help us express who we are in our own eyes and in the eyes of others. Whether we like it or not, consumerism is the prevalent ideology of our time. Led by Gjoko Muratovski who has long been influential at the intersection of design and business, “Consumer Culture” is the ideal starting point for an investigation into the social construction of the global economy.”
About the Author
Gjoko Muratovski has more than twenty years of international design and branding experience. He is the editor-in-chief of the “Journal of Design, Business & Society” and holds senior academic positions at Tongji University, China, and Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
Out of stock
For over 30 years, instructors around the world have successfully used The Art of Public Speaking to teach the development and presentation of effective speeches. Through personalized and adaptive instruction, the program helps each student think critically, build confidence and make the leap from learning the principles to mastering competent speaking in the classroom and throughout life.
About the Author
Stephen E. Lucas is Professor of Communication Arts at the University of Wisconsin where he has coordinated the introductory public speaking course for almost 25 years. He has received numerous teaching awards, including the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching and is the author of several books, including “Portents of Rebellion” which was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. Professor Lucas lives in Madison, Wisconsin with his wife and two sons.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.
CTE Invitation to Public Speaking – National Geographic Edition with CB CourseSmart eBook 5th Edition
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
INVITATION TO PUBLIC SPEAKING was designed to provide you with solid public speaking skills that will serve you well. This text shows you the power and importance of public speaking in your life as well as in the community. This special National Geographic Learning edition includes dynamic and exciting stories and tips from young people who are committed to sharing their passion for conservation and learning, accompanied by spectacular National Geographic photographs. Speech-building help and examples of student speeches in every chapter help you understand the basic concepts so that you learn how to give successful speeches.
- Sample student speech outlines and full speeches (with author commentary) provide real-life models for students to follow.
- Practicing the Public Dialogue boxes provide specific exercises and activities for individual or group work.
- Civic Engagement in Action boxes provide real-life stories of how individuals have made a difference in their communities through public activity, including speaking out.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the book. Interactive Video Activities, MindTap™ Reader, and Speech Builder Express™ 3.0 are included.
- MindTap combines all of a user’s learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular Learning Unit that guides the student through the curriculum based on learning objectives and outcomes.
With its step-by-step approach to implementing planned change, emphasis on skill-building, integration of social work values and ethics, and compliance with new accreditation standards, “Understanding Generalist Practice, International Edition” is one of the most comprehensive generalist practice texts available today.