Digital Countercultures and the Struggle for Community
Whether by accidental keystroke or deliberate tinkering, technology is often used in ways that are unintended and unimagined by its designers and inventors. In this book, Jessa Lingel offers an account of digital technology use that looks beyond Silicon Valley and college dropouts-turned-entrepreneurs. Instead, Lingel tells stories from the margins of countercultural communities that have made the Internet meet their needs, subverting established norms of how digital technologies should be used. Lingel presents three case studies that contrast the imagined uses of the web to its lived and often messy practicalities. She examines a social media platform (developed long before Facebook) for body modification enthusiasts, with early web experiments in blogging, community, wikis, online dating, and podcasts; a network of communication technologies (both analog and digital) developed by a local community of punk rockers to manage information about underground shows; and the use of Facebook and Instagram for both promotional and community purposes by Brooklyn drag queens. Drawing on years of fieldwork, Lingel explores issues of alterity and community, inclusivity and exclusivity, secrecy and surveillance, and anonymity and self-promotion. By examining online life in terms of countercultural communities, Lingel argues that looking at outsider experiences helps us to imagine new uses and possibilities for the tools and platforms we use in everyday life.
About the Author
Jessa Lingel is an Assistant Professor of Communication at the Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania.
Out of stock
Happy-People-Pills for All explores current theories of happiness while demonstrating the need to develop advanced pharmacological agents for the enhancement of our capacity for happiness and wellbeing.
- Presents the first detailed exploration of the enhancement of happiness
- A controversial yet rigorous argument that demonstrates the moral imperative for the development and mass distribution of ‘happy-pills’, to promote the well being of the individual and society
- Brings together the philosophy, psychology and biology of happiness
- Maps the development of the next generation of positive mood pharmacology
- Offers a corrective to contemporary accounts of happiness
America currently has the most inequality, and the least equality of opportunity, among the advanced countries. While market forces play a role in this stark picture, politics has shaped those market forces. In this best-selling book, Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz exposes the efforts of well-heeled interests to compound their wealth in ways that have stifled true, dynamic capitalism. Along the way he examines the effect of inequality on our economy, our democracy, and our system of justice. Stiglitz explains how inequality affects and is affected by every aspect of national policy, and with characteristic insight he offers a vision for a more just and prosperous future, supported by a concrete program to achieve that vision.”
Preparing students to do research and understand what research can do. Basics of Social Research helps students understand what research can and cannot do, become better consumers of research, and learn why properly conducted research is important. This text teaches students to be better consumers of research results and understand how the research enterprise works, preparing them to conduct small research projects. Upon completing this text, students will gain an awareness of the capabilities and restrictions of research, and learn why properly conducted research is important. Using clear, accessible language and examples from real research, this text discusses both qualitative and quantitative approaches to social research, emphasizing the benefits of combining various approaches. Learning Goals Upon completing this book, readers should be able to: * Recognize that social research is simultaneously a very important enterprise and one that is not beyond you – you can understand it * Become better consumers and understand what research can and cannot do * Learn how to properly conducted research * Acquire a foundation for further learning about doing research and understand that this activity requires dedication, creativity, and mature judgment
CTE Invitation to Public Speaking – National Geographic Edition with CB CourseSmart eBook 5th Edition
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
INVITATION TO PUBLIC SPEAKING was designed to provide you with solid public speaking skills that will serve you well. This text shows you the power and importance of public speaking in your life as well as in the community. This special National Geographic Learning edition includes dynamic and exciting stories and tips from young people who are committed to sharing their passion for conservation and learning, accompanied by spectacular National Geographic photographs. Speech-building help and examples of student speeches in every chapter help you understand the basic concepts so that you learn how to give successful speeches.
- Sample student speech outlines and full speeches (with author commentary) provide real-life models for students to follow.
- Practicing the Public Dialogue boxes provide specific exercises and activities for individual or group work.
- Civic Engagement in Action boxes provide real-life stories of how individuals have made a difference in their communities through public activity, including speaking out.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the book. Interactive Video Activities, MindTap™ Reader, and Speech Builder Express™ 3.0 are included.
- MindTap combines all of a user’s learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular Learning Unit that guides the student through the curriculum based on learning objectives and outcomes.