Language : English
Published : 2013-07-23
Pages : 272
Ebook PNIE Influence: Science And Practice 5th Edition
Influence: Science and Practiceis an examination of the psychology of compliance (i.e. uncovering which factors cause a person to say “yes” to another’s request). Written in a narrative style combined with scholarly research, Cialdini combines evidence from experimental work with the techniques and strategies he gathered while working as a salesperson, fundraiser, advertiser, and in other positions inside organizations that commonly use compliance tactics to get us to say “yes.” Widely used in classes, as well as sold to people operating successfully in the business world, the eagerly awaited revision of Influence reminds the reader of the power of persuasion. Cialdini organizes compliance techniques into six categories based on psychological principles that direct human behavior: reciprocation, consistency, social proof, liking, authority, and scarcity.
Language : English
Table of Contents
Part 1: Fundamentals
- Chapter 1. Basic Concepts of Reasoning and Argumentation
- Chapter 2. Diagramming Reasoning: An Introduction
- Chapter 3. Evaluating Arguments
Part 2: Argument Structure
- Chapter 4: Deep Diagramming: Reasons for and Against
- Chapter 5: Forms of Argument
- Chapter 6: Constructing Arguments
- Chapter 7: Reconstructing Arguments
- Chapter 8: Fallacies
Part 3: Tools for Reasoning
- Chapter 9: Categorical Logic
- Chapter 10: Sentence Logic
- Chapter 11: Definitions
For over 30 years, instructors around the world have successfully used The Art of Public Speaking to teach the development and presentation of effective speeches. Through personalized and adaptive instruction, the program helps each student think critically, build confidence and make the leap from learning the principles to mastering competent speaking in the classroom and throughout life.
About the Author
Stephen E. Lucas is Professor of Communication Arts at the University of Wisconsin where he has coordinated the introductory public speaking course for almost 25 years. He has received numerous teaching awards, including the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching and is the author of several books, including “Portents of Rebellion” which was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. Professor Lucas lives in Madison, Wisconsin with his wife and two sons.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.
This is a Custom Pulication, personalised by your lecturers as a learning resource to support your studies. It contains Pearson content from our world-renowned textbook authors and includes chapters handpicked and customised for your course. It may also contain your lecturer’s own, original, learning materials.
Pearson works wit your university and your lecturers and we are committed to helping you learn.