Essential Surgery: Problems, Diagnosis and Management 5th Edition
Essential Surgery is a comprehensive and highly illustrated textbook suitable for both clinical medical students as well junior surgical trainees, preparing for postgraduate qualifications in surgery such as the MRCS. Covering general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics, vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, cardiothoracic surgery and urology, it incorporates appropriate levels of basic science throughout. The book is ideal for modern clinical courses as well as being a practical manual for readers at more advanced levels. Its main aim is to stimulate the reader to a greater enjoyment and understanding of the practice of surgery.
Out of stock
Anyone who attempts to read genetics or epidemiology research literature needs to understand the essentials of biostatistics. This book, a revised new edition of the successful Essentials of Biostatistics has been written to provide such an understanding to those who have little or no statistical background and who need to keep abreast of new findings in this fast moving field. Unlike many other elementary books on biostatistics, the main focus of this book is to explain basic concepts needed to understand statistical procedures.
- Surveys basic statistical methods used in the genetics and epidemiology literature, including maximum likelihood and least squares.
- Introduces methods, such as permutation testing and bootstrapping, that are becoming more widely used in both genetic and epidemiological research.
- Is illustrated throughout with simple examples to clarify the statistical methodology.
- Explains Bayes’ theorem pictorially.
- Features exercises, with answers to alternate questions, enabling use as a course text.
Written at an elementary mathematical level so that readers with high school mathematics will find the content accessible. Graduate students studying genetic epidemiology, researchers and practitioners from genetics, epidemiology, biology, medical research and statistics will find this an invaluable introduction to statistics.
- introduces essential principles underlining modern biotechnology- recombinant DNA technology and protein science
- an invaluable introduction to this fast-moving subject aimed specifically at pharmacy and medical students
- includes specific ‘product category chapters’ focusing on the pharmaceutical, medical and therapeutic properties of numerous biopharmaceutical products.
- entire chapter devoted to the principles of genetic engineering and how these drugs are developed.
- includes numerous relevant case studies to enhance student understanding
- no prior knowledge of protein structure is assumed
This comprehensive text is suitable for researchers and graduate students of a ‘hot’ new topic in medical physics.
Written by the world’s leading experts, this book aims to present recent developments in plasma medicine, both technological and scientific, reviewed in a fashion accessible to the highly interdisciplinary audience consisting of doctors, physicists, biologists, chemists and other scientists, university students and professors, engineers and medical practitioners.
The book focuses on major topics and covers the physics required to develop novel plasma discharges relevant for medical applications, the medicine to apply the technology not only in-vitro but also in-vivo testing and the biology to understand complicated bio-chemical processes involved in plasma interaction with living tissues.
TRUST THE #1 SELLING COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW FOR THE ULTRASONOLOGY EXAMINATION
ACE THE REGISTRY EXAM WITH A COMPLETE REVIEW OF THE CURRICULUM IN A CONCISE NARRATIVE WITH REGISTRY-STYLE Q&A
- The entire ultrasonography curriculum summarized in a concise, readable narrative helps you understand and remember key concepts
- 3,000 review questions with answers that include detailed explanations to reinforce learning
- More than 700 illustrations and clinical images
- New chapters on 3D sonography in obstetrics and gynecology, musculoskeletal ultrasound, and breast sonography
- Written by experienced educators who know what it takes to pass
- Essential for certification or recertification
About the Author
McGraw-Hill authors represent the leading experts in their fields and are dedicated to improving the lives, careers, and interests of readers worldwide
Arthur C. Fleischer, MD, Professor of Radiology and Radiologic Sciences, Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Chief of Diagnostic Sonography, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee In addition to Sonography in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Dr. Fleischer has edited several other books in this field. A seasoned and active educator, he runs nationally recognized sonography courses and is a leading member of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine group.