Language : English
Pages : 298
Food Matters: Food Security And The Future Of Food
Food matters. It is a basic human need, yet its availability in adequate, safe, nutritious and regular amounts for humans is by no means assured. While land and water for food production are both declining at alarming rates due to natural and human causes, the demand for food is still growing as populations all over the world increase. The unending questions – where food comes from; how it is grown; how climate change impacts the supply of vegetables and fish and what we can do about it; nutrition in diet; future new types of food that will be produced in factories; how safe is organic food and GMOs, etc. – present some of the most pressing food-related issues everyone, from leaders and policymakers to corporate chiefs and man-in-the-street, needs to be aware of. This seminal book, Food Matters, by Professor Paul Teng and Manda Foo provides explanations to the many questions asked about today’s food sources and quality. Written in prose that is easily understandable, it takes the reader through the fascinating story of the origin of our common foods, how they have changed in looks and their methods of production, and discusses many issues on the minds of consumers and governments.
Provides a systematic review of modern methods and instruments for measuring environmental parameters
• Profiles the most modern methods and instruments for environment control and monitoring
• Gives an assessment of biotic and abiotic factors and their effect on quality of atmosphere and indoor air, soil, water
• Provides a brief description of the main climatic (pressure, wind, temperature, humidity, precipitation, solar radiation), atmospheric, hydrographic, and edaphic factors
• Covers a wide range environmental methods and instrumentation including those used in the fields of meteorology, air pollution, water quality, soil science and more
• Supplied with practical exercises, problems, and tests that will help the reader to learn more deeply contents of the book
This book helps students broaden their necessary skills to actively participate in any science course. An accessible, lively and comprehensive resource, it can be used in the classroom and as a reference.