Language : English
Published : 2017-09-17
Pages : 624
Gas Turbine Theory
When the First Edition of this book was written in 1951, the gas turbine was just becoming established as a powerplant for military aircraft. It took another decade before the gas turbine was introduced to civil aircraft, and this market developed so rapidly that the passenger liner was rendered obsolete. Other markets like naval propulsion, pipeline compression and electrical power applications grew steadily. In recent years the gas turbine, in combination with the steam turbine, has played an ever-increasing role in power generation. Despite the rapid advances in both output and efficiency, the basic theory of the gas turbine has remained unchanged. The layout of this new edition is broadly similar to the original, but greatly expanded and updated, comprising an outline of the basic theory, aerodynamic design of individual components, and the prediction of off-design performance. The addition of a chapter devoted to the mechanical design of gas turbines greatly enhances the scope of the book. Descriptions of engine developments and current markets make this book useful to both students and practising engineers.
How to plan your future strategy for efficient, cost-saving data management
Businesses have historically treated data protection as an afterthought, as simply making an occasional copy of data that could be used in the future. Today, this attitude is changing rapidly. The ever-increasing amount of data, along with the emphasis on continuous availability, necessitates changes in the approach to data integrity, which results in management and protection becoming much more closely aligned. Digital Data Integrity throws light on the data integrity landscape of the future. It provides the reader with a brief overview of the historical methods and subsequent evolution of data protection. The text shows how the whole subject of data integrity is changing and describes and positions many of the new, enhanced, more intelligent protection technologies and methods.
Digital Data Integrity:
- Takes a unique, forward look at data protection and management, highlighting the paradigm shift from simple backup and recovery to total data management.
- Details recent developments in compliance regulations in an accessible manner.
- Covers enhanced protection technologies such as advanced intelligent synthetic backups, data reduction methods, and data growth – online protection using continuous data protection.
- Explains data life cycle management and data storage, using management, quality of service products and tools to achieve better data management, intelligent allocation of storage, and compliance with regulations.
- Contains information on quality control, looking at SLA (Service Level Agreements), protection by business unit and billing/charge back.
- Unique insight into hot topics such as next generation bare metal recovery and true system provisioning.
This invaluable text will provide system administrators, and database administrators, as well as senior IT managers and decision makers with a thorough understanding of data management and protection.
With contributions from Ray Schafer and Paul Mayer.
This highly interactive write-in workbook covers all the essential aspects of level 1 and 2. Welding & Fabrication theory including thorough QCF unit coverage of welding processes, metal fabrication & thermal cutting, as well as engineering materials & operations. Addressing all essential aspects of the qualification, this comprehensive resource is packed full of top quality 3D artwork, engaging tasks and activities and safe, sustainable practice, all of which aim to ensure that each learner fully understands all the fundamental theory required for their qualification. This interactive workbook can be used a stand-alone resource in the classroom or for personal study at home, or an accompaniment to the Welding & Fabrication e-learning programme for a complete blended learning experience.
Provides a systematic review of modern methods and instruments for measuring environmental parameters
• Profiles the most modern methods and instruments for environment control and monitoring
• Gives an assessment of biotic and abiotic factors and their effect on quality of atmosphere and indoor air, soil, water
• Provides a brief description of the main climatic (pressure, wind, temperature, humidity, precipitation, solar radiation), atmospheric, hydrographic, and edaphic factors
• Covers a wide range environmental methods and instrumentation including those used in the fields of meteorology, air pollution, water quality, soil science and more
• Supplied with practical exercises, problems, and tests that will help the reader to learn more deeply contents of the book
Pozar’s new edition of Microwave Engineering includes more material on active circuits, noise, nonlinear effects, and wireless systems. Chapters on noise and nonlinear distortion, and active devices have been added along with the coverage of noise and more material on intermodulation distortion and related nonlinear effects. On active devices, there’s more updated material on bipolar junction and field effect transistors.
New and updated material on wireless communications systems, including link budget, link margin, digital modulation methods, and bit error rates is also part of the new edition. Other new material includes a section on transients on transmission lines, the theory of power waves, a discussion of higher order modes and frequency effects for microstrip line, and a discussion of how to determine unloaded.