Language : English
Published : 2006
Halsbury’s Laws of Singapore – Family Law Vol 11
Law and economics has become a central course in U.S. legal education and for students majoring in topics like economics, political science, and philosophy. Cooter and Ulen provide a clear introduction to economic analysis and its application to legal rules and institutions that is accessible to any student who has taken principles of microeconomics. The book’s structure is flexible, beginning with an introductory overview of economic tools followed by paired chapters in five core areas of law: property, contracts, torts, legal process, and crime. Students leave the course understanding how microeconomic theory can be used to critically evaluate law and public policy.
Since the publication of the first edition of Elements of Family Law in Singapore in 2007, there have been further developments in the law, both in statutory form as well as case law. This updated second edition follows the original, largely discussing, the developments and its impact on the state of the law currently. The author has striven to improve upon the discussion of the core principles in each topic in this edition.
The Court of Appeal leads the judiciary in its continuing effort to ensure that pristine common law principles are interpreted to serve local needs and circumstances as they should. The High Court has clarified the dominating role of the Women’s Charter in formation of marriages. The separate parts of the law regulating parents and their children are better rationalised to uphold the unique position of parents over other adults who may be interested in the well-being of someone else’s child. The Court of Appeal affirmed and clarified the law regulating marital agreements including pre-nuptial agreements. In the area of division of matrimonial assets, the Court of Appeal has delivered several significant decisions clarifying the law as based upon the concept of deferred community of property where equal credit should be accorded to nonfinancial contribution to acquisition as financial contribution, expounding the purposive interpretation of what properties are matrimonial assets and explaining its view of how to achieve the just and equitable proportions of division as mandated by the statutory provision.
Amongst significant statutory developments is the enactment of the International Child Abduction Act 2011 which enforces Singapore’s commitment in acceding to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. New provisions for the better enforcement of orders of financial provision, whether of maintenance or division of matrimonial assets, after termination of marriages are also explained.
A 4-stage developmental model providing a comprehensive, practical guide to clinical social work supervision
This text is a part of the Advancing Core Competencies series.
Clinical Social Work Supervision: Practice and Process presents a developmental model of supervision that helps supervisors meet the challenges of working with clinicians at different levels, and allows adaptations to style and focus as clinicians grow and change over time.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning – MySearchLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking – Students arechallenged to examine their own values, increase their self awareness, and put into practice the concepts discussed.
- Engage Students – Tools and tips, case examples and charts that cover all aspects of clinical supervision.
- Explore Current Issues – Information and tools for handling the management aspects of supervision—from hiring, evaluation, and disciplining of staff; ethics and liability issues; effective time management; self-care.
- Apply CSWE Core Competencies – The text applies the 2008 CSWE EPAS, with critical thinking questions and practice tests to advance student competency.
- Support Instructors – An Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank, Computerized Test Bank (MyTest), Blackboard Test Item File, MySearchLab with Pearson eText, and PowerPoint presentations are included in the outstanding supplements package.