How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science, 3rd edition
The essence of baking is chemistry, and anyone who wants to be a master pastry chef must understand the principles and science that make baking work. This book explains the whys and hows of every chemical reaction, essential ingredient, and technique, revealing the complex mysteries of bread loaves, pastries, and everything in between. Among other additions, How Baking Works, Third Edition includes an all-new chapter on baking for health and wellness, with detailed information on using whole grains, allergy-free baking, and reducing salt, sugar, and fat in a variety of baked goods. This detailed and informative guide features:
An introduction to the major ingredient groups, including sweeteners, fats, milk, and leavening agents, and how each affects finished baked goods
Practical exercises and experiments that vividly illustrate how different ingredients function
Photographs and illustrations that show the science of baking at work
End-of-chapter discussion and review questions that reinforce key concepts and test learning
For both practicing and future bakers and pastry chefs, How Baking Works, Third Edition offers an unrivaled hands-on learning experience.
Out of stock
Gisslen’s 6th edition of Professional Baking continues to educate hundreds of thousands of readers with clear, detailed instructions in the theory and techniques necessary to meet the demands of the professional kitchen. The text continues to comprehensively cover baking basics while also offering enhanced coverage of higher-level techniques such as pastry, chocolate, and sugar work. Balancing theory and practice, Professional Baking provides both the understanding and performance abilities needed to progress and develop in a successful baking career.
About the Author
Dr. Kellyann Petrucci is the coauthor of the health and lifestyle books Living Paleo For Dummies and Boosting Your Immunity For Dummies . She also created the successful kids’ health and wellness program Superkids Wellness and the Paleo door-to-door home delivery food service Living Paleo Foods.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
UNDERSTANDING FOOD: PRINCIPLES AND PREPARATION is a best-selling food-fundamentals text ideal for an undergraduate course that covers the basic elements of food preparation, food service, and food science. Contemporary and comprehensive in coverage, it introduces students to the variety of aspects associated with food preparation. The Fifth Edition thoroughly explores the science of food through core material on food selection and evaluation, food safety, and food chemistry.
- The text has been thoroughly updated to include the latest research, examples, and techniques related to food principles.
- “Chemist’s Corner” features dive deeper into the scientific principles and methodologies relevant to food preparation and the food industry.
- “How & Why?” features further explain terms, processes, and distinctions important in food science and preparation, answering common questions about the chapter material.
- “Nutrient Content” boxes supply specific data on the nutritional content of different foods.
- “Calorie Control” features explore the energy value of foods and emphasize portion control—a topic of great interest to students both as individuals and as future food service professionals catering to weight-conscious clientele.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools including quizzes, flashcards, videos, and more.
While other chefs paid dues on restaurant lines and at cooking schools, Brooks Headley was in the back of a tour van as a drummer in much-loved punk bands that never made a penny. Headley creates unorthodox recipes that echo his unconventional background: fruit is king, vegetables are championed, acidity is key and simplicity is the goal. The 97 recipes included here range from verjus melon candy to tofu chocolate creme brulee, showcasing Headley’s perspective on ingredients and methodology. Brooks Headley’s Fancy Desserts is an essential, inventive addition to the shelf of both home cooks and professional chefs.
About the Author
Brooks Headley is the executive pastry chef at Del Posto, New York City’s only four-star Italian restaurant. He’s appeared in Bon Appetit and Lucky Peach. Twitter: @workingpastry