Language : English
Published : 2015-01-01
Pages : 368
Media Effects Research A Basic Overview 5th Edition
Combining intriguing examples with the latest research available, MEDIA EFFECTS RESEARCH: A BASIC OVERVIEW, 5e, helps you understand the true impact of media today. Known for his engaging, personal narrative style, the author presents media theories in the context of current research findings-giving you a comprehensive introduction to mass media’s effects on society. The book clearly explains how the effects of mass media are measured and what the latest research has concluded about media’s influence on our lives. Cutting-edge coverage includes electronic media’s effects on sleep displacement, TV viewing and obesity research, media violence, emotions in cooperative video game play, first- vs. second-order cultivation, agenda-setting theory research, new media’s effects on imitative suicides, Internet use statistics, screen time and face-to-face interaction, multitasking, and much more.
Written by 7 faculty members of the School of Law at the Singapore Management University (SMU), Ethics and Social Responsibility draws upon the scholarship and history of the West and also presents lessons, examples and situations that are relevant to Asia. Originally conceived as a textbook for SMU tudents reading Ethics and Social Responsibility as a university core curriculum course, the book balances judiciously between theory and practice to allow readers to apply theoretical understanding of concepts to real-world scenarios. In addition, open-ended questions are included to provoke deeper reflection and discussion, while illustrations and case studies highlight ethical concepts and their applications.
The writers expertly capture the sense of dynamism of ethics and social responsibility and sensitise readers to deal with these issues in the real world.
This 1st edition Research Methods book focuses on applying foundational research methods to real-life examples. Through a practical organization of chapters, this text creates a practical, applied, and user-friendly focus on not only educating students in the concepts of research methods, but also developing students into consumers of research themselves.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Fundamentals
- Chapter 1. Basic Concepts of Reasoning and Argumentation
- Chapter 2. Diagramming Reasoning: An Introduction
- Chapter 3. Evaluating Arguments
Part 2: Argument Structure
- Chapter 4: Deep Diagramming: Reasons for and Against
- Chapter 5: Forms of Argument
- Chapter 6: Constructing Arguments
- Chapter 7: Reconstructing Arguments
- Chapter 8: Fallacies
Part 3: Tools for Reasoning
- Chapter 9: Categorical Logic
- Chapter 10: Sentence Logic
- Chapter 11: Definitions
CTE Invitation to Public Speaking – National Geographic Edition with CB CourseSmart eBook 5th Edition
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
INVITATION TO PUBLIC SPEAKING was designed to provide you with solid public speaking skills that will serve you well. This text shows you the power and importance of public speaking in your life as well as in the community. This special National Geographic Learning edition includes dynamic and exciting stories and tips from young people who are committed to sharing their passion for conservation and learning, accompanied by spectacular National Geographic photographs. Speech-building help and examples of student speeches in every chapter help you understand the basic concepts so that you learn how to give successful speeches.
- Sample student speech outlines and full speeches (with author commentary) provide real-life models for students to follow.
- Practicing the Public Dialogue boxes provide specific exercises and activities for individual or group work.
- Civic Engagement in Action boxes provide real-life stories of how individuals have made a difference in their communities through public activity, including speaking out.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the book. Interactive Video Activities, MindTap™ Reader, and Speech Builder Express™ 3.0 are included.
- MindTap combines all of a user’s learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular Learning Unit that guides the student through the curriculum based on learning objectives and outcomes.