Migration in East and Southeast Asia
There has been an undisputed increase in the importance of migration over the past decades. It is one of the effects of an increasingly globalized world, where capitalism and free trade are gaining prominence. Migration in East and Southeast Asia aims to bring migration-related problems in Asia to the forefront. The first part of the book deals with migration in Greater China, a region influenced by Confucianism. The ‘three Chinas’ used to have a close connection in the past, and presently share much similarity. The Hong Kongese and Taiwanese societies are based on migration from Mainland China. However, each society has endured significant social, economic, and political changes. The second part of the book offers a closer look at migration flows in Southeast Asia. Most of the intra-ASEAN migration involves low-skilled labor for construction, agriculture, and domestic work. This book hopes to offer valuable insights into various topics related to migration in the region.
Out of stock
An integrated language arts approach to literacy development that brings early childhood perspectives on how children learn in pre-kindergarten though grade three, together with explicit teaching of literacy skills and strategies teachers need to make it all work. Pre-service and in-service teachers get a wealth of valuable information for making children active participants in the process of literacy development with this integrated approach to language arts. The book encourages teaching reading, writing, listening, thinking, and viewing at the same time, using each skill to develop the others, and discusses both constructivist problem-solving teaching and more explicit systematic instruction. Through both theoretical and research-based rationales, plus extensive practical applications, renowned author Lesley Mandel Morrow presents literacy development as an active process between children and adults to create meaning and real purpose-and helps pre- and in-service teachers grasp the scope and complexity of early literacy development. This comprehensive, balanced approach to literacy teaching and learning covers oral language development, word study, phonological awareness, phonics, comprehension, listening and writing. The reader is provided with a complete picture of early literacy development.
Sports in Society is the definitive text for the sport sociology course. Taking a global, issues-oriented approach to the study of the role of sport in society, this text encourages the discussion of current sports-related controversies and helps students develop critical thinking skills.
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
Known for its clear, straightforward writing style, comprehensive coverage, strong and current research-based approach, and excellent visuals and tables, this life-span development text offers a topical organization at the chapter level and a consistent chronological presentation within each chapter. Each chapter focuses on a domain of development such as physical growth, cognition, or personality, and traces developmental trends and influences in that domain from infancy to old age. Within each chapter, you will find sections on four life stages: infancy, childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. This unique organization enables students to comprehend the processes of transformation that occur in key areas of human development. Another staple of the text is its emphasis on theories and how they apply to specific topics in each chapter. This new edition also asks students to engage more actively with the content, and includes a clear focus on the complex interactions of nature and nurture in development, more integrated coverage of culture and diversity, and an exciting new media package for both students and instructors.
- The text features an integrated topical and chronological approach to emphasize developmental processes, such as how nature and nurture interact over the life-span to bring about normal developmental changes, as well as create differences among individuals.
- Building on the book’s reputation for a solid research basis, Sigelman and Rider include hundreds of new research references in this edition.
- To help students read with a purpose, learning objectives are now listed at the beginning of each major section.
- MindTap is a fully online, highly personalized learning experience. By combining readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments into a singular Learning Path, MindTap guides students through their course with ease and engagement.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.