Language : English
Published : 2018-08-02
Pages : 294
Placental-Fetal Growth Restriction
Master the effective evaluation, analysis and management of placental-fetal growth restriction (PFGR), developing strategies to reduce the risk of perinatal mortality and morbidity in patients worldwide. Extensively researched by international experts, this manual provides practitioners with a detailed, hands-on approach to the practical ‘pearls’ for direct patient management. This authoritative volume advises on matters such as the correct evaluation and management of high-risk patients in danger of PFGR through to delivery. Extensive and wide-ranging, this book is an invaluable companion to the developing research interest and clinical applications in PFGR, including developmental outcomes in early childhood. Featuring a critical evaluation of a variety of abnormal conditions, such as fetal hypoxia and extreme prematurity, which are clearly displayed through extensive illustrations. This essential toolkit ensures that practitioners at all levels can effectively limit adverse outcome and reach the correct diagnosis.
Pre-Order (3-4 weeks)
Thoroughly updated for currency and with exciting new practical examples throughout, this popular text provides the tools, practice, and basic knowledge for success in the biotech workforce. With its balanced coverage of basic cell and molecular biology, fundamental techniques, historical accounts, new advances, and hands-on applications, the Third Edition emphasizes the future of biotechnology and the biotechnology student’s role in that future. Two new features-Forecasting the Future, and Making a Difference-along with several returning hallmark features, support the new focus.
The intricacies of the human nervous system are of great intellectual and practical interest and importance and are the subject of a large number of life sciences and medical school courses worldwide.
The Brain Atlas: A Visual Guide to the Human Central Nervous System truly integrates modern neuroscience with clinical practice and is now completely revised and updated in its Third Edition. Now more than ever, it is the best available visual guide to human neuroanatomy for undergraduate and graduate medical students, clinicians and psychologists.
It flows logically from surface anatomy to cross-sections, and then on to regional histology, ending with diagrams of the major neuronal systems responsible for the brain’s magnificent array of functions. The book’s five sections cover Background Information, The Brain and Its Blood, Brain Slices, Histological Sections, and Pathways.
The Brain Atlas: A Visual Guide to the Human Central Nervous System, Third Edition features:
- A large number of new images reflecting the latest updates in imaging equipment and techniques
- Unrivalled treatment of brain pathways, including meticulous blood supply maps
- Systematic use of magnetic resonance images side-by-side with corresponding brain slices
- A direct labeling system, including an alphabetical list of terms for each image
Anyone who attempts to read genetics or epidemiology research literature needs to understand the essentials of biostatistics. This book, a revised new edition of the successful Essentials of Biostatistics has been written to provide such an understanding to those who have little or no statistical background and who need to keep abreast of new findings in this fast moving field. Unlike many other elementary books on biostatistics, the main focus of this book is to explain basic concepts needed to understand statistical procedures.
- Surveys basic statistical methods used in the genetics and epidemiology literature, including maximum likelihood and least squares.
- Introduces methods, such as permutation testing and bootstrapping, that are becoming more widely used in both genetic and epidemiological research.
- Is illustrated throughout with simple examples to clarify the statistical methodology.
- Explains Bayes’ theorem pictorially.
- Features exercises, with answers to alternate questions, enabling use as a course text.
Written at an elementary mathematical level so that readers with high school mathematics will find the content accessible. Graduate students studying genetic epidemiology, researchers and practitioners from genetics, epidemiology, biology, medical research and statistics will find this an invaluable introduction to statistics.
The fully revised edition of this highly respected textbook addresses the most important theoretical and empirical debates in the sociology of health and medicine. Chapter by chapter the book examines important issues such as the complexities surrounding health and identity, health inequalities, and the organization and provision of health care. A particular strength of the book is its careful attention to theoretical developments in the field.
The second edition has been rigorously updated to take account of recent theories and evidence in medical sociology. New to this edition are discussions of globalization, individualization, medicalization, new medical technologies and the sociology of the body. The new edition also looks in detail at recent social change and hotly debated explanations for the patterning of health by socioeconomic status, gender and ethnicity. In addition, it examines developments in contemporary health care, including the reconceptualization of patients as consumers.
The result is a text that will be of interest to upper-level undergraduates and postgraduate students in sociology and social policy, as well as students of the allied health professions looking for an in-depth and forward-thinking introduction to medical sociology.
- Chapter 1 Enduring theoretical legacies
- Chapter 2 Contemporary theories of health and medicine in a changing world
- Chapter 3 Feminism, gender theories and health
- Chapter 4 Socio-economic inequalities in health
- Chapter 5 Gender inequalities in health
- Chapter 6 ‘Race’, ethnicity and health
- Chapter 7 Health systems and healthcare in transition
- Chapter 8 Professions in transition
- Chapter 9 The experience of health, illness and healthcare