Play-Based Interventions for Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Play-Based Interventions for Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders explores the most recognized, researched, and practical methods for using play therapy with the increasing number of children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs), and shows clincians how to integrate these methods into their practices. Using a diverse array of play-based approaches, the book brings together the voices of researchers and practicing clinicians who are successfully utilizing play and play-based interventions with children and adolescents on the autism spectrum. It also examines the neurobiological underpinnings of play in children on the autism spectrum and the overall effect of play on neuro-typical and neuro-atypical development. Finally, through careful integration of theory with real-world clinical case application, each chapter also shows clinicians how to incorporate a particular treatment approach and make it a viable and effective part of their work with this challenging clinical population.
Out of stock
A sensitive and thorough approach to childhood behavior disorders.
Abnormal Child and Adolescent Psychology presents a comprehensive, research-based introduction to understanding child and adolescent psychopathology. The authors provide a logically formatted and easy to understand text that covers the central issues and theoretical and methodological foundations of childhood behavior disorders.
Rich with illustrations and examples, this text highlights the newest areas of research and clinical work, stressing supported treatments and the prevention of behavior problems of youth.
Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Understand the psychological problems found in children and adolescents
- Understand methods of treatment and prevention for childhood behavior disorders
- Discuss issues related to childhood behavior disorders
Introductory texts in psychology present an opportunity to discover reasons for human behaviour and address the issues which impact upon their behaviour. This first Australian and New Zealand adaptation of the well respected Psychology 9th edition, by Bernstein et al. continues to strike a balance between classical and contemporary topics with an easy to read, comprehensive, research-oriented approach. The text takes an active learning approach with the use of hallmark pedagogical features such as Linkages, Focus on Research Methods, and Thinking Critically. Features enriching this adaptation include research, issues and examples of psychology relevant to the Australian and New Zealand regional perspective; indigenous research; graduate attributes and psychological literacy sections; other cultural and international considerations, and extended online appendices for searching psychology databases and careers in psychology.
Table of Contents
1. Introducing Psychology 2. Research in Psychology 3. Biological Aspects of Psychology 4. Sensation 5. Perception 6. Learning 7. Memory 8. Cognition and Language 9. Consciousness 10. Cognitive Abilities 11. Motivation and Emotion 12. Human Development 13. Health, Stress, and Coping 14. Personality 15. Psychological Disorders 16. Treatment of Psychological Disorders 17. Social Cognition 18. Social and Cultural Influence 19. Neuropsychology (online) Appendix A: Answers to In Review Questions Appendix B: Careers for Psychology Graduates (brief) Appendix B: Careers for Psychology Graduates (extended; online) Appendix C: Behavioural Genetics (online) Appendix D: Statistics in Psychological Research (online) Appendix E: Searching Psychology Databases (online)
How To Be Happy: How Developing Your Confidence, Resilience, Appreciation and Communication Can Lead to a Happier, Healthier You
We all have the capacity to be happy. There may be occasions in your life where this seems a challenging concept, however there are some very definite things that you can do to make sure that you are happy more often than not. After all, happy people get sick less often, they have more energy, are more creative, sustain more positive relationships and are more fun to be around.
With the help of Liggy Webb, you can create your own personal happiness toolkit! How to be Happy will help you feel more self-empowered and in control of any situation, helping you progress in your work and personal life.
You will learn how to:
• Build your self-confidence to make the best of who you are
• Be open to learning new things, to become more effective and creative
• Develop an attitude of gratitude to appreciate life more
• Encourage and sustain positive relationships
• Build your resilience and emotional strength to cope with stress and manage change
• Foster a healthy attitude and get fit for life
You can make the decision right now to be happier if you really want to be. Life is what you make it – so learn how to be happy, effective and energetic – and watch how it inspires those around you.
New and emerging directions in pharmaceutical research to better treat schizophrenia
Although the dopamine hypothesis has been the cornerstone of schizophrenia therapeutics, it is clear that dopamine-based approaches do not treat all aspects of the disease. Moreover, many schizophrenia patients fail to respond to current antipsychotics. Integrating chemistry, biology, and pharmacology, this book explores emerging directions in pharmaceutical research for drug targeting and discovery in order to find more effective treatments for schizophrenia, one of the most serious and widespread psychiatric diseases.
Targets and Emerging Therapies for Schizophrenia presents the basics of schizophrenia, drug targets for the disease, and potential new drugs and therapeutics. It begins with a discussion of prevalence and etiology. Then, it describes therapies such as dopamine agonists and phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors as well as growing research aimed at addressing untreated symptoms. Next, the authors discuss receptor modulators, inhibitors, and targeting strategies for drug discovery. Both the neurobiological and chemical aspects of all major pharmacological targets are examined.
With contributions from an international team of pioneering pharmaceutical researchers, this book compiles the current knowledge in the field, setting the stage for new breakthroughs in the treatment of schizophrenia. Targets and Emerging Therapies for Schizophrenia:
- Provides a comprehensive resource for neuro-drug discovery and the development of molecular targets for schizophrenia treatment
- Draws from chemistry, biology, and pharmacology for more effective drug targeting and discovery
- Explores a wide range of receptors and molecular targets, including dopamine, PDEs, and neuropeptides
With Targets and Emerging Therapies for Schizophrenia as their guide, drug discovery and development scientists have the information they need to advance their own research so that new, more effective treatments for schizophrenia will soon be a reality.