Language : English
Published : 2017-01-24
Pages : 256
Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences 9th Global Edition
For courses in Research Methods in Political Science and Sociology, and in Qualitative Research Methods Raising questions, rather than giving answers Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences is written with the recognition that different researchers in different fields each bring their own needs and intentions to the process. Authors Howard Lune and Bruce Berg aim to guide the reader through the process of research planning, carrying out one’s projects, and making sense of the results. Each chapter provides examples of the best and worst approaches to the kinds of questions that arise with each form of research, as well as discussions of what makes an approach successful or not. Like its predecessors, the Ninth Edition stresses the importance of ethics in research and respect for subjects.
This new dictionary provides over 1,500 A-Z definitions of terms from the field of social care, concentrating on social work as a significant area within this field. Covering social work theories, methods, policies, organisations, and statutes, as well as key terms from interdisciplinary topics such as health and education, this is the most up-to-date dictionary of its kind available. It also provides extended entries on specialisms such as children and families, domestic violence, and residential care.
Useful appendices include a glossary of acronyms and a Table of Legislation, Regulations, and Codes of Practice. Entry-level bibliographies and web links provide further resources and the web links are listed and regularly updated on a dedicated companion website.
A Dictionary of Social Work and Social Care is a must-have for students of social care and related subjects, as well as for qualified social workers undertaking continuing professional development programmes.
Readership : Suitable for students studying social work and social care as well as qualified social workers undertaking continuing professional development programmes.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
Up-to-date and comprehensive, this practical best-selling text helps readers learn how to deal with and apply ethical standards. It provides readers with the basis for discovering their own guidelines within the broad limits of professional codes of ethics and divergent theoretical positions. The authors raise what they consider to be central issues, present a range of diverse views on these issues, discuss their position, and present many opportunities for users to refine their own thinking and actively develop their own position. Readers explore such questions as: What role do the therapist’s personal values play in the counseling relationship? What ethical responsibilities and rights do clients and therapists have? What considerations are involved in adapting counseling practice to diverse client populations?
- The authors draw upon their combined experiences to provide a realistic and challenging view of dealing with ethical issues. Throughout the text, the authors stress that ethical decision making is an ongoing process with no easy answers. However, the book gives readers the framework to think through the issues.
- The book is comprehensive, in that it is appropriate for students in counselor education, clinical psychology, social work, mental health counseling, and human services, among other professions.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools including quizzes, flashcards, videos, and more.
Happy-People-Pills for All explores current theories of happiness while demonstrating the need to develop advanced pharmacological agents for the enhancement of our capacity for happiness and wellbeing.
- Presents the first detailed exploration of the enhancement of happiness
- A controversial yet rigorous argument that demonstrates the moral imperative for the development and mass distribution of ‘happy-pills’, to promote the well being of the individual and society
- Brings together the philosophy, psychology and biology of happiness
- Maps the development of the next generation of positive mood pharmacology
- Offers a corrective to contemporary accounts of happiness