Language : English
Published : 2013
Pages : 900
Raven Biology of Plants
The eighth edition of this bestselling botany textbook has been updated throughout with the most recent primary literature, eight new ecology-oriented essays, and 175 new illustrations and photographs to keep the presentation as well as the content fresh and engaging. It is an invaluable resource for both students and professionals
Pre-Order (3-4 weeks)
Provides a systematic review of modern methods and instruments for measuring environmental parameters
• Profiles the most modern methods and instruments for environment control and monitoring
• Gives an assessment of biotic and abiotic factors and their effect on quality of atmosphere and indoor air, soil, water
• Provides a brief description of the main climatic (pressure, wind, temperature, humidity, precipitation, solar radiation), atmospheric, hydrographic, and edaphic factors
• Covers a wide range environmental methods and instrumentation including those used in the fields of meteorology, air pollution, water quality, soil science and more
• Supplied with practical exercises, problems, and tests that will help the reader to learn more deeply contents of the book
To respond to the increasing need to feed the world’s population as well as an ever greater demand for a balanced and healthy diet there is a continuing need to produce improved new cultivars or varieties of plants, particularly crop plants. The strategies used to produce these are increasingly based on our knowledge of relevant science, particularly genetics, but involves a multidisciplinary understanding that optimizes the approaches taken.
Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding, 2nd Edition introduces both classical and molecular tools for plant breeding. Topics such as biotechnology in plant breeding, intellectual property, risks, emerging concepts (decentralized breeding, organic breeding), and more are addressed in the new, updated edition of this text. Industry highlight boxes are included throughout the text to contextualize the information given through the professional experiences of plant breeders. The final chapters provide a useful reference on breeding the largest and most common crops.
- Up-to-date edition of this bestselling book incorporating the most recent technologies in the field
- Combines both theory and practice in modern plant breeding
- Updated industry highlights help to illustrate the concepts outlined in the text
- Self assessment questions at the end of each chapter aid student learning
- Accompanying website with artwork from the book available to instructors
About the Author
George Acquaah is Dean at Bowie State University. He is the author of four critically acclaimed textbooks, and has received numerous awards, including the prestigious USDA Award for Excellence in College and University Teaching in Food and Agricultural Sciences, and the Millennium Award for Excellence in Teaching, presented by the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the US.
This book helps students broaden their necessary skills to actively participate in any science course. An accessible, lively and comprehensive resource, it can be used in the classroom and as a reference.
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE inspires and equips students to make a difference for the world. Featuring sustainability as their central theme, authors Tyler Miller and Scott Spoolman emphasize natural capital, natural capital degradation, solutions, trade-offs, and the importance of individuals.