Language : English
Published : 2017
Pages : 119
Singapore Chronicles – Trade Unions
Trade unions hold a special place in Singapore’s history. Occupying different camps on the left and right, unionists’ past struggle for social justice saw the rise of leaders who could move the masses. A dispassionate look is taken at the ideas and impulses of those who defined today’s labour movement. Can unions continue to play a key role in the future as jobs are threatened by technological change and disruption? Some observers think Singapore might have an answer. This book examines the issues critically.
Learn about the origin of Chinese artistry in this fun comic book style with pictures and fun descriptions. The Chinese have made a range of artistic contributions such as the making of silk and porcelain, bronze ware, paper cuts, jade carving, embroidery, face masks and more. This book provides the details and many stories related to their origins.
Welcome to the heavenly realm. Upon your arrival, you would be greeted by the heavenly guards. After passing through the Heavenly Gates, you’ll make your way to Ling Xiao Hall, where you can seek an audience with the Jade Emperor himself. While in Heaven, choose your words carefully, and be respectful to everyone you meet. The deities in the heavenly realm are endowed with special powers to help mankind or provide guidance, but some are mischievous and may not hesitate to conjure up a trick or two if they sense any disrespect.
This book, Legends of the Heavenly Gods, traces the many legends about the deities residing in the heavenly realm. You will enjoy the following stories:
- how a mortal man was chosen to become the Jade Emperor, to rule over Heaven, Hell and Earth;
- How his wife, the Heavenly Mother, felt about taking over the throne for a day;
- How Er Lang fought a ferocious dragon that was terrorising a village;
- how the Fairy of Ninth Heaven assisted the Yellow Emperor, and enable him to defeat Chi You, the leader of the Jiu Li Tribe.
This book provides a quick and exciting introduction to the many goings-on in the heavenly realm. From the Jade Emperor to the Yellow Emperor, from the Monkey King and Ne Zha to the Four Heavenly Guardians and the 100 heavenly guards, you will be trilled, enlightened and fascinated, all at once!
Origins of Chinese Food Culture is the latest addition to Asiapac’s collection of books on Chinese culture. This volume brings you through the origins, history, customs and fascinating tales behind the intricate and perplexing labyrinth of customs and taboos, and the art and science of Chinese food culture.
Did you know that:
- Tables and chairs did not enter common usage until the Southern Song period?
- Female chefs were once the rage in ancient China?
- Zhuge Liang defeated his enemy with mantou?
- Youtiao was also known as ‘deep-fried ghost’?
- Chopsticks were once reputed to detect poison?
Read about all these and manu other enthralling facts in this info-packed book. With this well-illustrated and easy-to-read volume, understanding Chinese culture has never been easier.
Legends of the God of Wealth Traces the origins of the most revered Chinese Gods worshipped by the masses.
Did you know that there are various groups of Gods of Wealth?
- Principal Gods of Wealth like Bi Gan, Fan Li, Zhao Gongming and Guan Yu.
- Secondary Gods of Wealth like Child of Fortune, Five-Direction Gods, and Gods of Harmony and Union.
- Occasional Gods of Wealth like the popular Kitchen God
Check out the Gods of Wealth, and enjoy more insights:
- The golden toad that bestows wealth
- Customs and beliefs on wealth-seeking
Hardly a traditional Chinese will shut out any deity that promises wealth, so be sure that you know and recognise all the Gods of Wealth!