Language : English
Published : 2018-04-24
Pages : 568
Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences 5th Global Edition
For courses in Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences. Statistical methods applied to social sciences, made accessible to all through an emphasis on concepts Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences introduces statistical methods to students majoring in social science disciplines. With an emphasis on concepts and applications, this book assumes no previous knowledge of statistics and only a minimal mathematical background. It contains sufficient material for a two-semester course. The 5th Edition uses examples and exercises with a variety of “real data.” It includes more illustrations of statistical software for computations and takes advantage of the outstanding applets to explain key concepts, such as sampling distributions and conducting basic data analyses. It continues to downplay mathematics–often a stumbling block for students–while avoiding reliance on an overly simplistic recipe-based approach to statistics.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Fundamentals
- Chapter 1. Basic Concepts of Reasoning and Argumentation
- Chapter 2. Diagramming Reasoning: An Introduction
- Chapter 3. Evaluating Arguments
Part 2: Argument Structure
- Chapter 4: Deep Diagramming: Reasons for and Against
- Chapter 5: Forms of Argument
- Chapter 6: Constructing Arguments
- Chapter 7: Reconstructing Arguments
- Chapter 8: Fallacies
Part 3: Tools for Reasoning
- Chapter 9: Categorical Logic
- Chapter 10: Sentence Logic
- Chapter 11: Definitions
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.
This is a Custom Pulication, personalised by your lecturers as a learning resource to support your studies. It contains Pearson content from our world-renowned textbook authors and includes chapters handpicked and customised for your course. It may also contain your lecturer’s own, original, learning materials.
Pearson works wit your university and your lecturers and we are committed to helping you learn.
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
Up-to-date and comprehensive, this practical best-selling text helps readers learn how to deal with and apply ethical standards. It provides readers with the basis for discovering their own guidelines within the broad limits of professional codes of ethics and divergent theoretical positions. The authors raise what they consider to be central issues, present a range of diverse views on these issues, discuss their position, and present many opportunities for users to refine their own thinking and actively develop their own position. Readers explore such questions as: What role do the therapist’s personal values play in the counseling relationship? What ethical responsibilities and rights do clients and therapists have? What considerations are involved in adapting counseling practice to diverse client populations?
- The authors draw upon their combined experiences to provide a realistic and challenging view of dealing with ethical issues. Throughout the text, the authors stress that ethical decision making is an ongoing process with no easy answers. However, the book gives readers the framework to think through the issues.
- The book is comprehensive, in that it is appropriate for students in counselor education, clinical psychology, social work, mental health counseling, and human services, among other professions.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools including quizzes, flashcards, videos, and more.