Language : English
Published : 1996-06-17
Pages : 444
The Mismeasure of Man
About the Author
Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002) was the Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology and Professor of Geology at Harvard University. He published over twenty books, received the National Book and National Book Critics Circle Awards, and a MacArthur Fellowship.
“A rare book-at once of great importance and wonderful to read.” — Saturday Review
This book offers a comprehensive overview of the intellectual developments in urban conservation. The authors offer unique insights from UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre and the book is richly illustrated with colour photographs. Examples are drawn from urban heritage sites worldwide from Timbuktu to Liverpool to demonstrate key issues and best practice in urban conservation today. The book offers an invaluable resource for architects, planners, surveyors and engineers worldwide working in heritage conservation, as well as for local authority conservation officers and managers of heritage sites.
CTE Invitation to Public Speaking – National Geographic Edition with CB CourseSmart eBook 5th Edition
Please note that the digital access code that comes with the print book is valid for use in a specific Asia territory only.
CB CourseSmart eBook – The ultimate eBook experience has arrived! Easily access our eBooks with features that will improve your reading experience, and tools to help you take notes and organize your studies.
INVITATION TO PUBLIC SPEAKING was designed to provide you with solid public speaking skills that will serve you well. This text shows you the power and importance of public speaking in your life as well as in the community. This special National Geographic Learning edition includes dynamic and exciting stories and tips from young people who are committed to sharing their passion for conservation and learning, accompanied by spectacular National Geographic photographs. Speech-building help and examples of student speeches in every chapter help you understand the basic concepts so that you learn how to give successful speeches.
- Sample student speech outlines and full speeches (with author commentary) provide real-life models for students to follow.
- Practicing the Public Dialogue boxes provide specific exercises and activities for individual or group work.
- Civic Engagement in Action boxes provide real-life stories of how individuals have made a difference in their communities through public activity, including speaking out.
- CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the book. Interactive Video Activities, MindTap™ Reader, and Speech Builder Express™ 3.0 are included.
- MindTap combines all of a user’s learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular Learning Unit that guides the student through the curriculum based on learning objectives and outcomes.
Introducing the new Cengage Technology Edition
This current, engaging, and practice-oriented text is your complete resource for mastering the many facets of family therapy. In this eighth edition, the authors provide practice-oriented content that will help you become an empathic and effective family therapist. The new edition includes the latest references and contemporary thinking on central issues such as family resiliency, alternative forms of family life today, gender, culture, and ethnic considerations. A new feature, “Thinking like a Clinician,” helps students to reflect on practice issues related to each chapter. This edition also contains the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics–a great reference that will help you understand the importance of ethical practices.
- The book presents both qualitative and quantitative approaches to family research, providing students with balanced coverage.
- The text’s family life cycle outlook helps students tie family problems to life stages in intact and alternate family organizations.
- Numerous pedagogical features, such as case transcripts, multiple examples, tables, and charts, help students apply the concepts discussed in the text.
- Case studies with transcripts of actual therapy sessions demonstrate practical applications of specific theories.
- In Chapter 3 and throughout the text, the authors present coverage of gender, culture, and ethnicity, in order to help students learn about the importance of being a culturally competent practitioner.
- Located in each chapter, the “Clinical Notes” features draw on the authors’ wealth of clinical experience with couples and families to help students gain a better understanding of the link between theory and practice.
This is a Custom Pulication, personalised by your lecturers as a learning resource to support your studies. It contains Pearson content from our world-renowned textbook authors and includes chapters handpicked and customised for your course. It may also contain your lecturer’s own, original, learning materials.
Pearson works wit your university and your lecturers and we are committed to helping you learn.