Language : English
Published : 2018-03-15
Pages : 376
Understanding Strategic Management 3rd Revised Edition
The most complete introduction for students looking for a briefer guide to strategic management, packed with real-life examples and an emphasis on the essential tools of analysis.
- Concise in format, but covering all the relevant material for one semester courses, this textbook provides students with all the essential concepts in a manageable format.
- A four-part structure and clear approach expertly guide students through the processes of strategic management from analysis, to formulation, and implementation.
- Contemporary, real-life examples and case studies from a diverse range of business situations illustrate how the core theories operate in practice, revealing the successes but also the pitfalls of different strategic approaches.
- Extensive online resources, clearly integrated with the book, provide additional material to further understanding and offer practical exercises on the key tools of analysis.
- A user-friendly writing style is complemented by a wealth of learning features, diagrams, and photos to make the subject clear for students and encourage them to actively engage in critique and analysis.
New to this edition
- New coverage of disruptive innovation, dynamic capabilities, and Blue Ocean Strategy, as well as additional frameworks such as economies and diseconomies of scale, the industry life cycle, and the VRIO framework complete an extensive update to this third edition.
- The unconventional workings of Ryanair, disruptive innovation at Netflix, and the plausibility of electric cars are just some of the new examples used in the Strategy in Focus boxes and Case Examples for this edition, which together examine the contemporary relevance of strategic management to the business world.
- The chapters in Part Two: Strategic Analysis, have been streamlined by incorporating coverage of organizational performance into Chapter 4 on the internal environment.
- Each chapter now features a single, longer, closing Case Example, fully author-written and unique to the book, demonstrating how companies like Novo Nordisk and Tesla, or strategic leaders such as Warren Buffett or Sir Martin Sorrell consider and apply strategic analysis, formulation, and implementation in real life.
- The online resources have been reorganized and updated, providing new questions, exercises, and case studies.
- The book has a new text design and new photos throughout, making it more appealing and engaging.
About the Author(s)
Anthony E. Henry, Teaching Fellow at Aston University Business School
Anthony E. Henry is a Teaching Fellow at Aston Business School.
Table of Contents
Part One: What is Strategy?
1: What is Strategy?
Part Two: Strategic Analysis
2: Evaluating the Macro-environment
3: Industry Analysis
4: The Internal Environment: Value-Creating Activities
5: The Internal Environment: A Resource-Based View of Strategy
Part Three: Strategy Formulation
6: Business Strategy
7: Corporate Strategy
8: International Strategy
Part Four: Strategy Implementation
9: Organizational Structures and Strategic Change
10: Strategic Leadership
11: Corporate Governance
Pre-Order (3-4 weeks)
A dissertation is often a crucial part of a Business and Management degree and can heavily influence the final mark. It can be extremely daunting: it requires a lengthy piece of writing and forms a major component for assessment. In fact, when faced with this task the first word that comes to mind for many students is simply ‘Help!’ This new and updated edition provides the necessary help, covering all the stages from the initial choice of subject through to the final writing. Stephen Rayner joins Brian White in this excellent guide to dissertations, which is equally useful to both undergraduates and postgraduates. It includes support on all aspects of the dissertation, from the student-supervisor relationship to evaluation and analysis of data.
A new approach to learning the principles of management, MGMT 2 is the second Asia???Pacific edition of a proven, innovative solution to enhance the learning experience. Concise yet complete coverage supported by a suite of online learning aids equips students with the tools required to successfully undertake an introductory management course. Paving a new way to both teach and learn, MGMT 2 is designed to truly connect with today’s busy, tech-savvy student. Students have access to online interactive quizzing, videos, podcasts, flashcards, case studies, games and more. An accessible, easy-to-read text along with tear out review cards completes a package which helps students to learn important concepts faster. MGMT 2 delivers a fresh approach to give students what they need and want in a text.
“Marketing Essentials 2e” explains the nature of marketing and the importance of understanding the complexities of the market place in a concise manner. This comprehensive text is easy to read, reflects accurately the current thinking in the world of marketing and is informative, interesting and topical. “Marketing Essentials” follows a logical structure enabling students to clearly see how effective marketing requires an analysis of the market place, the recommendation of a marketing strategy and the implementation of the desired strategy. “Marketing Essentials” is ideal for use on introductory marketing modules at both undergraduate and MBA level. The strategic content of the text makes it suitable for use on strategic marketing, marketing analysis and marketing management courses.
About the Author
Sally Dibb is Professor of Marketing at the Open University Business School. The Open University is the largest university in the UK, teaching over 200,000 people every year, and the UK’s only university dedicated to distance learning. Before joining the Open University (in September 2005) Sally was a Reader in Marketing and Strategic Management at Warwick Business School (one of the U.K.’s leading three business schools), University of Warwick, U.K. She holds research degrees from the University of Manchester, UK and Warwick University: her Ph.D. examined consumer modelling. She has published widely in U.S. and European marketing journals on the marketing of services, marketing planning, market segmentation and corporate identity, as well as textbooks and practitioner-oriented workbooks on these themes. Sally chairs the U.K. Academy of Marketing’s Special Interest Group on market segmentation and until recently, she was Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs at Warwick Business School. Her consulting clients include a range of companies such as JCB, ICI, Fujitsu, Midland Electricity, Diageo and AstraZeneca. Lyndon Simkin is a Reader at Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, U.K. He received his Ph.D. from Bradford University. His research interests are business planning, target market prioritisation, marketing planning, implementation of effective marketing programmes, promotions management and retail marketing. He is the author of other marketing texts and his long-term consulting clients include Calor, Fujitsu, JCB, Raytheon, Royal & Sun Alliance and many retailers.
Strategic Compensation in Canada, Fifth Edition, by Richard Long is part of the market-leading Nelson Education Series in Human Resources Management. This text balances and integrates the strategic, behavioural, and technical principles for identifying and designing the compensation system that will add the most value to an organization. This is accomplished within a systematic framework that is based on a foundation of scientific research and relevant theories and verified by actual organizational experiences. This approach is delivered in an informal writing style and supported by strong pedagogical features—such as opening vignettes, Compensation Today, Compensation Notebook, and end-of-chapter material—that maximize its value as an effective learning tool. Students’ learning can be further enhanced by the accompanying Strategic Compensation: A Simulation, Fifth Edition, which provides students with the opportunity to design an entire compensation system, from strategy formulation to implementation of the new pay structure, complete with market-based actual dollars attached to the pay ranges. This simulation has been specifically designed by its authors (Richard Long and Henry Ravichander) to utilize all the steps along the road map to effective compensation, as described in the Strategic Compensation in Canada text.