Language : English
Published : 2018-03-15
Pages : 376
Understanding Strategic Management 3rd Revised Edition
The most complete introduction for students looking for a briefer guide to strategic management, packed with real-life examples and an emphasis on the essential tools of analysis.
- Concise in format, but covering all the relevant material for one semester courses, this textbook provides students with all the essential concepts in a manageable format.
- A four-part structure and clear approach expertly guide students through the processes of strategic management from analysis, to formulation, and implementation.
- Contemporary, real-life examples and case studies from a diverse range of business situations illustrate how the core theories operate in practice, revealing the successes but also the pitfalls of different strategic approaches.
- Extensive online resources, clearly integrated with the book, provide additional material to further understanding and offer practical exercises on the key tools of analysis.
- A user-friendly writing style is complemented by a wealth of learning features, diagrams, and photos to make the subject clear for students and encourage them to actively engage in critique and analysis.
New to this edition
- New coverage of disruptive innovation, dynamic capabilities, and Blue Ocean Strategy, as well as additional frameworks such as economies and diseconomies of scale, the industry life cycle, and the VRIO framework complete an extensive update to this third edition.
- The unconventional workings of Ryanair, disruptive innovation at Netflix, and the plausibility of electric cars are just some of the new examples used in the Strategy in Focus boxes and Case Examples for this edition, which together examine the contemporary relevance of strategic management to the business world.
- The chapters in Part Two: Strategic Analysis, have been streamlined by incorporating coverage of organizational performance into Chapter 4 on the internal environment.
- Each chapter now features a single, longer, closing Case Example, fully author-written and unique to the book, demonstrating how companies like Novo Nordisk and Tesla, or strategic leaders such as Warren Buffett or Sir Martin Sorrell consider and apply strategic analysis, formulation, and implementation in real life.
- The online resources have been reorganized and updated, providing new questions, exercises, and case studies.
- The book has a new text design and new photos throughout, making it more appealing and engaging.
About the Author(s)
Anthony E. Henry, Teaching Fellow at Aston University Business School
Anthony E. Henry is a Teaching Fellow at Aston Business School.
Table of Contents
Part One: What is Strategy?
1: What is Strategy?
Part Two: Strategic Analysis
2: Evaluating the Macro-environment
3: Industry Analysis
4: The Internal Environment: Value-Creating Activities
5: The Internal Environment: A Resource-Based View of Strategy
Part Three: Strategy Formulation
6: Business Strategy
7: Corporate Strategy
8: International Strategy
Part Four: Strategy Implementation
9: Organizational Structures and Strategic Change
10: Strategic Leadership
11: Corporate Governance
Pre-Order (3-4 weeks)
Strategic Compensation in Canada, Fifth Edition, by Richard Long is part of the market-leading Nelson Education Series in Human Resources Management. This text balances and integrates the strategic, behavioural, and technical principles for identifying and designing the compensation system that will add the most value to an organization. This is accomplished within a systematic framework that is based on a foundation of scientific research and relevant theories and verified by actual organizational experiences. This approach is delivered in an informal writing style and supported by strong pedagogical features—such as opening vignettes, Compensation Today, Compensation Notebook, and end-of-chapter material—that maximize its value as an effective learning tool. Students’ learning can be further enhanced by the accompanying Strategic Compensation: A Simulation, Fifth Edition, which provides students with the opportunity to design an entire compensation system, from strategy formulation to implementation of the new pay structure, complete with market-based actual dollars attached to the pay ranges. This simulation has been specifically designed by its authors (Richard Long and Henry Ravichander) to utilize all the steps along the road map to effective compensation, as described in the Strategic Compensation in Canada text.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Insight into Marketing 1. What is marketing? 2. Strategy development and marketing planning 3. The marketing environment Part 2 Analyzing the Market 4. Buying behaviour 5. Marketing research and marketing information 6. Market segmentation and positioning Part 3 Product Decisions 7. Product strategy and services marketing 8. New product development Part 4 Promotion Decisions 9. Marketing communication strategies 10. Advertising 11. Sales management Part 5 Pricing Decisions 12. Pricing strategies and price determination Part 6 Distribution Decisions 13. Distribution 14. Retailing 15. Global marketing
This third Asia Pacific edition of International Marketing continues to offer up-to-date examples from Australia, New Zealand and throughout the Asia Pacific region alongside an international perspective to provide a truly global context. The text examines the unique conditions in which businesses from this region operate, concentrating on the challenges that face marketers. Students are provided with a comprehensive overview of both the theory and application of international marketing, including an examination of the distinct issues that affect a range of enterprises from start-up operations to small, medium and multinational firms. The ongoing concerns of the environment and the sustainability of business are integrated throughout the text. Other important emergent areas affecting the practice of international marketing, such as the dominance of social media and e-commerce are also discussed. To aid class discussions, short case studies are presented at the end of each chapter as well as a case for more extensive analysis at the end of each part.
Bringing a sharp awareness of the turbulence of global business and change, Thompson, Scott and Martin present a comprehensive introduction to modern strategy. Secure your understanding of tomorrow’s business world using this established yet forward-looking textbook and its host of dynamic learning features.
About the Author
Frank Martin is a Senior Teaching Fellow in Entrepreneurship in the Business & Organisation Division at the University of Stirling. He is also a Senior Honorary Research Fellow John L Thompson is Professor of Strategic Management at the University of Huddersfield, UK.